Write a “deleted scene” from the novel The Ladies Paradise. This scene should illustrate how social structures (rules, norms, incentives, social roles, etc) and some innovation interact. Two examples from the novel: the scenes of competitive rivalry between the salespeople who work for commissions and the scene where Mouret is trying to get the banker to give him money.
Important things to note:
1) You only have 750 words, so keep it simple and direct.
2) Stick to the world of the Ladies Paradise. Don’t build an entirely new world, because you won’t have words left for a story.
3) Feel free to be creative. Shoot us an email or come to office hours if you’re not sure about your topic.
4) One of the main criteria we will be grading you on is: “did we want to keep reading when we got to the end?” A compelling story in this short format is unlikely to be complete or tie up all loose ends, but if you’ve written it well, we’re going to want to hear more.
5) Remember: don’t tell us; show us.